In 2016, I was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis on my face. One of the things I was told not to do was to wash my face frequently with soap and water. I have oily skin, so I still needed to clean my face about every 4 hours. I tried gentle facial cleansers, but I couldn’t find a gentle cleanser that didn’t have chemicals, preservatives, or artificial scents, all of which can also aggravate atopic dermatitis.
I became interested in the mobile lifestyle in 2015 and soon discovered YouTube channels by those who live the mobile lifestyle. One of the individuals I discovered is Rick who has the DreamSideOut channel. In one of his videos, Rick talks about how he keeps clean when he doesn’t have access to a shower. He uses a combination of hydrogen peroxide, water, and a few drops of essential oil.
I began using Rick’s body wash solution to clean my face in 2017 and the results were favorable. My face was not irritated at all by the solution.
- 32-ounce spray bottle (I like the ZEP professional spray bottle, available at Lowe’s or Home Depot)
- Hydroden peroxide
- Distilled water
- Essential oil good for skincare
- Add 25-30 drops of essential oil to the bottle.
- Add just over 10 ounces of hydrogen peroxide.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with distilled water.
- Cover the bottle opening tightly with the palm of your hand and shake, or turn upside down several times, to mix.
If you choose to use a different size spray bottle, the hydrogen peroxide and water ratio is 2 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide (1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 2/3 water). You’ll also need to adjust the amount of essential oil to use, but you’ll have to experiment or work out a formula based on the amount I suggested for a 32-ounce spray bottle.
You’ll need to keep the bottle in a dark place because light quickly degrades hydrogen peroxide. If you don’t want the hassle of storing the bottle in a dark location, you could try using a white spray bottle.
Updated on 2019-04-05