Effective date: December 01, 2018
Shared Bits (“I”, “me”, “my”, or “myself”) operates the https://sharedbits.net website (hereinafter referred to as the “Service”).
This page informs you of my policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data when you use my Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
I use your data to provide and improve the Service. By using the Service, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Service is the https://sharedbits.net website operated by Shared Bits
- Personal Data
Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in my possession or likely to come into my possession).
- Usage Data
Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Controller
- Data Processors (or Service Providers)
Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. I may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or User)
Data Subject is any living individual who is using my Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection and Use
I collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve my Service to you.
Types of Data Collected
While using my Service, I may ask you to provide me with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Cookies and Usage Data
I may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of my Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Other tracking technologies may also be used such as beacons, tags and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyse my Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of my Service.
Examples of Cookies I may use:
- Session Cookies. I may use Session Cookies to operate my Service.
- Preference Cookies. I may use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. I may use Security Cookies for security purposes.
- Advertising Cookies. Advertising Cookies may be used to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests.
Use of Data
Shared Bits uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain my Service
- To notify you about changes to my Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of my Service when you choose to do so
- To provide customer support
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that I can improve my Service
- To monitor the usage of my Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Shared Bits may process your Personal Data because:
- I need to perform a contract with you
- You have given me permission to do so
- The processing is in my legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
- To comply with the law
Retention of Data
Shared Bits will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of my Service, or I am legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to me, please note that I transfer the data, including Personal Data, to the United States and process it there.
Disclosure of Data
Disclosure for Law Enforcement
Under certain circumstances, Shared Bits may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Shared Bits may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Shared Bits
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security of Data
The security of your data is important to me, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While I strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, I cannot guarantee its absolute security.
My Policy on “Do Not Track” Signals under the California Online Protection Act (CalOPPA)
I do not support Do Not Track (“DNT”). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked.
You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
Your Data Protection Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. Shared Bits aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed about what Personal Data I hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact me.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or delete the information I have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of your Personal Data directly within your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact me to assist you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to my processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that I restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information I have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where Shared Bits relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that I may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about my collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
I may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate my Service (“Service Providers”), provide the Service on my behalf, perform Service-related services or assist me in analysing how my Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on my behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
I use the following to monitor and analyse the use of my Service.
- Slimstat Analytics
I use Slimstat Analytics (hereinafter referred to as Slimstat) to collect data that is used to track and monitor use of the Service. Reference Usage Data under Types of Data Collected above for information about the data collected using Slimstat. The collected data is stored in a separate database that is not shared with anyone. Only I have access to the database contents. If you prefer not to be tracked while using the Service, some browsers offer a privacy mode. Use of a VPN service, proxy service, or the TOR network, will also prevent collection of certain aspects of your use of the Service; e.g. your actual IP address. For more details about Slimstat, consult their website: https://www.wp-slimstat.com
Links to Other Sites
I have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
My Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
I do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Child has provided me with Personal Data, please contact me. If I become aware that I have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, I will take steps to remove that information from my servers.
- By visiting the following page on my website: https://sharedbits.net/contact/
Image courtesy of Jack Moreh at Freerange Stock.