Welcome and thank you for visiting my blog. My name is Kurt Meyer.
Initially, I began sharing interesting links with co-workers, friends, and relatives via email in a shotgun fashion. Later, I came up with the idea of compiling commentary, info, links, reviews, and tips and sending the compilation in a weekly email. One of the recipients of my weekly emails suggested starting a blog.
I played around with the Ghost publishing platform for a few days in January 2016. Hosting costs with Ghost.org (even more expensive now), and the thought that I really didn’t have enough to write about to run a blog, quickly led me to abandon the blog idea.
In the summer of 2018, I wanted to post a tutorial in a Linux forum, but the forum only allowed a certain number of images per post. The number of images in my tutorial exceeded the forum limit, so I was left with nowhere to post my tutorial to share with others.
Later in 2018, I sent a lengthy email update about a health issue and the same individual who suggested blogging earlier, made the suggestion again and the light bulb came on. Blogging would give me a lot more freedom for sharing than a forum and I might be able to make some money from my efforts.
I love to share a variety of things so Shared Bits will cover a variety of topics.
- God for His many blessings
- My wife who has been very supportive through my unemployment and health issues.
- Robin for encouraging me to start a blog
- All of the talented individuals involved with WordPress and the WordPress ecosystem
- WP Royal for the wonderful Ashe Blog Pro theme
- geralt at Pixabay for the blog header image
- Grayson Bell for the excellent and free Understanding WordPress online course (currently covers WordPress 4)
- Crunchbang Linux (discontinued), developed by Philip Newborough, which introduced me to the joy of using the Openbox window manager, the Openbox menu, and the Tint2 panel working together as a Linux desktop environment
- All of the users in the many Linux forums I’ve been a part of, and forum posts I’ve encountered, for assisting me in obtaining Linux proficiency
Updated on 2020-12-20